Preparing Your Air Conditioning Unit for Winter
Your air conditioning unit has served you well this summer, so now it’s time to show it some TLC and ease it into a peaceful hibernation. Here are some tips to prepare, preserve and protect this valuable asset during the winter months:
- Find the air conditioning power circuit near your unit. Open and flip the switch to off. This prevents the unit from turning on during an unusually warm winter day, keeping water out of the unit that could potentially freeze.
- Wash the unit with a hose to remove bird droppings, dead bugs, dirt and dust. Remove leaves, small branches and grass clippings from the unit. Allow the unit to dry completely.
- Install foam pipe covers around outdoor exposed pipes. This insulates the pipes and protects them against freezing temperatures. Use duct tape on the foam covers to hold them in place.
- Cover the unit with a waterproof plastic or vinyl cover. There are covers that are specifically designed for air conditioners, but you can use any plastic or vinyl that completely covers the unit.
- Make sure the cover is wrapped tightly with vinyl ropes or bungee cords so it stays in place in bad weather.
- Check your airconditioner occasionally to make sure the cover is secure. Keep snow, ice and debris off the unit.